Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Objective 8 - The Necessity of Netvibes

Revisiting my Netvibes page is one of the 23 Things that I was truly looking forward to. I started my Netvibes pages sometime ago, but did not add all of the RSS feeds and widgets that I wanted to appear on my page. As I am sure happens to everyone, I got involved in another project and pretty soon finishing my Netvibes pages was so far removed from my priority list that I forgot about it completely.

I receive lots of daily or weekly newsletters as an email from the various professional organizations I belong to – ASCD, NSTA, ISTE, NMSA, just to name a few. If I just received one email every day from all of my professional groups, my mailbox fills up quickly. Most of the time I do not have time to read the news until the weekend – by then my inbox is overwhelming. I have discovered that much of the daily news is repeated so it would be so much easier to go to one location and just read the headlines. It has taken quite some time to set up all this information on my Netvibes pages, but I think the payoff will be worth it! One of the queries posted for this Thing was how Netvibes (or Pageflakes) compares to Google Reader. My Netvibes page is pulling news, daily newsletter articles, as well as my e-bay, craigslist, and local area info together in one location. Also in one location, My Google Reader is tracking the blogs that interest me. Both are designed to help reduce my time in the digital world and still keep me informed of what is happening in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Revisiting tools has been a great aspect of this project for me too. Things do change quickly in the Web 2.0 world.

    ReplyDelete