Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Objective 6 - Just Ninging Around

Sitting it the audience of a tech conference a few years ago – that was the first time I heard the term Ning. I actually put it on my list of things to investigate. The following year, at the same tech conference, I heard a few more tidbits about Nings. I thought to myself, “how great can they be?” Then I joined the MACUL Ning. This is a great place to go to read and share tech ideas. The concept of a Ning is very appealing to me. The idea of subscribing to a couple of Nings to interact with others interested on a central topic is worthy of my attention, but then so is Facebook, Twitter, and a dozen other social networking sites. I think it would be very valuable for a teacher to have a class Ning. One of the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS-S) focuses on communication and collaboration. Many students at the middle and upper levels belong to some social networking group; however, this was one of the lowest scored areas by our current Freshman students when they completed an eighth grade technology competency exam. Providing a Ning may give students’ opportunities to collaborative in an environment that is focused on a specific area as well as capitalize on the concept that students are social beings.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you.. trying to be all undercover sophisticated by called THINGS as OBJECTIVES! =) This is not 23 Objectives you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our students would be well served by being exposed to a Ning.

    ReplyDelete